Finishing my unfinished projects is turning out pretty good so far. I've procrastinated for so long on these projects I can't explain the euphoria I feel every time I get one finished. There is a moment of dread each time I pick a random unfinished project number because I know why I've left some projects undone for so long. They are either very monotonous or they have a level of difficulty that I know I must go into full concentration mode to get it done. Thankfully this project wasn't too bad, although I did let it sit for a couple of weeks before I could come up with how I wanted to quilt it. But alas I got motivated and got it done. Although my free motion quilting still needs a lot of practice to get smooth flowing stitches, I'm okay with how this turned out. After all that is why I made these into wall hangings instead of a full quilt so I could practice free motion quilting.
I started these blocks in 2015 when they were first released by the Fat Quarter Shop on their blog "The Jolly Jabber". They host a lot of fun quilt-a-longs over there. We had just gotten in the fabric "Daysail" by Bonnie & Camille in at the quilt shop I worked at, and I loved the pattern for this! You can sill find the pattern here. It's a free pattern and so fun to do.
(image taken from the Jolly Jabber blog)
I had finished sewing the block together and that is where I stopped. So, the last bit was to quilt it and put binding on. I've only quilted one other of the blocks, but it doesn't have binding on it yet so it is also on my unfinished project list.
Here is the process of finishing this project.
Sandwiching my layers of backing, batting (scraps are great for these small projects) and the pieced top. I used 505 basting spray for this.
I quilted the wall hanging and then trimmed off the extra batting and backing.
Here you can see the quilting a bit better.
Thankfully I bought all the supplies for these wall hangings back when I purchased the fabric so finding matching binding was easy although I'm sure I could have found something similar. I still like the results of hand sewing my binding. It is machine sewn on the top and hand sewn in the back.
Last of all I gave the kitty some eyes by sewing on some black buttons.
I hope you are enjoying the projects and if you are like me with so many unfinished projects, I hope you will follow along with me in getting them finished.